A touch of old this Christmas

Well, it's almost Friday. It's Thursday night and I'm scouring the internet and the newspapers for the events this weekend. It's holiday season in the capital city and there's lots to do!

I must start with one of my favorite little treats that gets me warm and fuzzy all over as soon as I walk through the door: The Orange Johnson House. It's located on High Street near downtown Worthington across from the Sprint Lube and next to the Dairy Queen. (If they had a website I would list it!) If you weren't paying attention you may just miss the old brick building with the old white sign. Every Sunday from Dec 7th - 21st they open their doors from 1:00 - 5:00 pm so visitors can enjoy a taste of old Victorian times. Volunteers at the house are dressed in period clothes, there are Victorian toys, treats and lots of nooks and crannies in the old house to explore. I've been there before with my son so it's totally kid friendly and they also have live music. It's a great retreat from the frantic holiday crowds. My oldest son is a really old soul type, so he loves anything and everything old, so I always bring him along. I promise to take pictures when we go!

This Christmas, my mother bought me and my kids a family membership at COSI. I feel really lucky to have that because I had never bought one before on my own. It just seemed too expensive. Considering my son loves science, he jumped for joy when he found out we could now go to COSI whenever we wanted. I know there's lots of families in town who think the same way I do, so they will be really excited when they find out that COSI is hosting a free community day this Sunday, Dec 7! Yep, F-R-E-E. One day only so take a break from shopping and enjoy some science!

The Worthington Libraries are all revved up and ready to party now that they have finished all their renovations at both their physical locations and their new website! So to kick start all that, they are hosting a celebration at all their locations from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm this Saturday, Dec 6th. You know how I feel about our libraries, so we are THERE.

And for the crafty people (like me!), there is the Calico 2008 Worthington Craft Guild Craft Fair at the Worthington Square Mall on Sunday, Dec 7th, from 11:00 am - 5:00 pm. I haven't been there before, but they have this really cute mouse on their flyers so it looks like fun! Who could deny a cute little mouse?

There's so much to do around town these days I can't decide where to start. Now that we have finished our decorations around the house and trimmed the tree last weekend, we'll be back on the go looking for some place to get our energy out. Here's a non-exhaustive list of other things to do around town this weekend:

Tree Lighting and visit from Santa Claus
City of Powell
Village Green Park
FREE
Saturday, Dec 6th Noon - 5:30 pm

Wexner Center Film Festival: Zoom!
A children's film festival
Dec 4th - 7th

Columbus Zoo
Wildlights
Nov 21 - Jan 3rd

Gallery Hop in the Short North
Dec 6

Holiday Open House and Craft Extravaganza
The North Market - Short North
Dec 6

Let me know about any other hidden gems you want to share by commenting or emailing me at kidseventscolumbusATyahooDOTcom.

No comments: